Saturday 14 April 2012

Risotto for Two

The first compliment I can remember Greg giving me was "I really love that you eat your spaghetti with both you're fork and spoon. Not many girls do nowadays". Odd, I know, but I think it demonstrates to extent to which food is present in our relationship.

We 'got together' at a party Greg hosted one weekend, when his Mum was away. Food may well have been involved, but I am afraid I can't remember much of that night. However, I can tell you, it was very much involved on the Monday after the party. Again, it was used in coping with the awkwardness of our new relationship. We had conquered being friends, but the uncertainty of this new position sent us back to the that “common ground”. We decided to skip the rest of our day at sixth form and go food shopping in Tesco. Greg suggested we make a risotto. Instantly, our awkwardness was evaporated, rapidly replaced with debates over ingredients, discussions of previous risottos, and, just a little bit, of hunger. We bought:


Arborio Rice
Onions
Garlic
Tomato Purée
Bacon Lardons
Vegetable Stock

We went back to Greg's house
  1. We softened the Onions.
  2. We added the Bacon Lardons.
  3. We added Garlic (lots) and the Rice (also lots)
  4. I stirred and stirred until my arm ached, whilst Greg added the Stock bit by bit.
  5. The Tomato Purée went in (to the risotto instead of the fabric of my top)


For an authentic re-creation, eat whilst watching a fabulous bit of food related comedy, such as this...







No comments:

Post a Comment