Monday 16 September 2013

I have had a change of heart

Once a confident carnivore, I've become a morally perturbed pescetarian in a little under a year.

I always subscribed to the idea that as long as the animal had had a good life, then I was perfectly  happy to eat it.
Until I realised that this meant the animals most qualified to be eaten, were actually, our pets. This unsettling thought was one of a number of worries beginning to bother my conscience in relation to eating meat late last summer.
Another was the striking similarity between my dog's legs and a leg of lamb. I have always had long haired pets until Lola, so had previously been shielded from this resemblance. This idea, along with the many others that suddenly seemed to be targeting me from every angle, prompted me to reconsider my relationship with animals, dead and alive.
Although a lover of meat, I am also fortunate enough to have a fairly pliable pallet, and am therefore open to trying new things. I decided this put me in a good position to give up meat, as I can eat so many alternatives. Ones which wouldn't cost a life. And that, so far, is that.


The guilty parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment